4 Eye-Catching Updates Done By Mozilla Firefox Quantum
A new Firefox browser is here that's reportedly twice as fast as Firefox from 6 months ago. Dubbed Firefox Quantum, the new browser is available on Android and iOS platforms, but also on Windows, Mac and Linux. The most important improvement over any of the previous versions of Firefox is speed.
Quantum is much faster than any Mozilla Firefox Quantum browsers launched in the past and, according to the developer, and looks better. In addition to improvements under the hood, Mozilla redesigned Firefox's user interface.
You can see more about the specific changes in the blog post here, but ultimately here are the four key details:
- Faster than it was even 6 months ago
- Features a brand new user interface
- Optimized for low power consumption
- Includes everyone’s favorite read-it-later app Pocket built-in.
In addition to the launch of Firefox Quantum, Mozilla also announced today that Google will be its default search engine for Firefox in select locations, including the U.S. I’ve also included a by the numbers below to showcase the effort that went into this overhaul.
?Even with performance advantages,Mozilla Firefox Quantum will find it difficult to grab browser share from leader Chrome, which owned about 47 percent of the desktop market as of last month, according to numbers from NetMarketShare. With 6.5 percent of the market, Firefox was a distant third, behind Microsoft Internet Explorer with 12.52 percent.
Check out the new Firefox browser on Windows, Mac or Linux. The new appearance will also be available on iOS and Android.
The New Firefox Quantum By the Numbers (fun facts at the Firefox Frontier blog)
How many authors contributed code?
- More than 700 authors contributed code to Firefox since the August 6th release.
How many volunteers contributed to code development?
- 80 contributors from all over the world, with nearly every time-zone represented in round-the-clock awesomeness!
How many ways can you customize the toolbar in the new Firefox?
- There are 265,252,859,191,742,656,903,069,040,640,000 more ways to customize the new Firefox toolbar right out of the box!